I love the start of a new School year, so much promise and good intentions. With this thought I turn my attention to healthy snacks. After a long Summer of indulgence, how can I fine tune our families eating to promote more healthy choices and eating perhaps more mindfully and in moderation?
Healthier snack suggestions that I have come up with:
- Meats: ham, pepperoni, chicken etc
- Boiled egg
- Fruit of all shapes, colours and sizes
- Bread sticks
- Homemade mini Pizzas
- Tortilla rolls (fill a tortilla wrap with a filling of choice, roll and then cut into bite sized portions)
- Cucumber sandwiches (use the cucumber as bread and add a bite sized filling of cheese or ham etc.)
- Lettuce boats (use a gem lettuce leaf or another variety that will hold its shape and fill with a filling of choice)
- Raw balls (if you Google raw balls a myriad of options will come up. Fundamentally they are a mixture of dates, seeds and/or nuts mixed together and rolled into balls, yum!)
- Ice lollies (home made with juice and if being adventurous add some fruit to it)
Where possible I always encourage my daughter to have some sort of protein and/or a carbohydrate with her snacks.
Seeking opportunities for my daughter to be involved in selecting making, presenting, packing her own snacks is looked for and encouraged. I am all for building independence in the next generation.
At this point I should also say that as a busy mum, I fully support going to the cupboard and grabbing a pre-packaged snack conveniently purchased from the supermarket! You have to do what works best for your family; however, we can be more thoughtful in our choices.
What healthy snacks would you add to the list?