Guest Blog by Chrys Makeup and Hair Stylist
I know your pain. It’s Monday. The alarm goes off. Again, because you’ve already hit snooze twice. In the 16 minutes you’ve been drowsily trying to force yourself out of bed there’s a list of things you should have been doing before the kids got up. And now it’s too late. You may have a toddler who wakes you up with snotty, dribble-coated kisses, and possibly high-pitched, neighbourhood rousing shrieks. You may have a teenager whose stubbornness to snooze surpasses even your own. Whatever shape or size, this is what mornings look like for mums.
Breakfasts to make, lunches to pack up, uniforms to hunt down and if you get a clean pair of jeans with a non-be-splattered jumper to do the school run vaguely on time, I feel like you’re winning. So with all these demands on our morning time, should we bother with makeup? I’ll be honest, there are days when even I forgo my makeup, but when I do make the time, I FEEL better for it. Taking 5 minutes for myself in the morning, is my way of affirming to myself that I am worth that undisturbed time. And looking at my reflection, post makeup, I feel more finished and polished, and ready to take on the day.
So here are some of my top tips to to achieve a fresh-faced finish in 5 Minutes Flat
- It Starts with Skin – Wether you’re making the school run or walking the read carpet, your skin should always be the hero of your look, as far as I’m concerned. You can have a beautiful smokey eye or a statement lip, but if skin isn’t looking its best, no one is going to notice anything else. I could go on ad nauseam on skin care, but when it comes to a quick morning look, my go to’s are a hydrating face mist and a lightweight moisturiser. I’m currently crushing on West Barn Co. who do a trio of face mists — Refreshing Peppermint, Coconut Dew and my fave, Hydrating Watermelon.https://www.westbarnco.com/shop My current moisturiser of choice at the moment is Arbonne’s RE9 day cream, so I also get my SPF, which lead me on nicely to…
- Opt for Multi-Use Products. Some products do multi-purpose better than others. I’m notoriously sceptical of BB or CC creams which claim to combine moisturiser, colour-correcting, priming and foundation functions, but one that I find always delivers is Erborian’s CC Cream. https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/beauty-hair/g9168496/best-korean-beauty-products/?slide=7 Adaptable to your skin tone, no need to colour match or change colours as you tan (or as your tan fades), this Korean skincare focused base is SPF 25 is enriched with Centella Asiatica, which, native to the wetlands of Asia, aids in skin’s healing action. That makes it a fantastic choice for just about everyone, whether your top skin concern is anti-ageing, eczema, psoriasis or acne. In addition, a creme blusher/ lip tint is a great choice, Bobbi Brown’s https://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/2342/20488/makeup/lips/lipsticks/pot-rouge-for-lips-cheeksiconic pot rouge or Becca’s Beach Tint https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/becca-beach-tint.html
- Hey Bright Eyes – Eyeshadow needn’t take a long time, but adding a little something will add brightness and definition. A cream shadow stick, like Laura Mercier’s Caviar Sticks https://www.spacenk.com/uk/en_GB/makeup/eyes/eyeshadow/caviar-stick-eye-colour-MUK200007537.html, are made with a built in primer so shouldn’t crease or dry eye lids, plus can be applied in under 60 seconds.
- Mascara – I toiled to think of something clever to head this tip, but let’s just cut to the chase. EVERYONE benefits from a quick coat of mascara. I could pontificate on the merits and techniques of placement of darker tones on the face in order attract or detract attention, but just go with me. Wear mascara. In black; don’t bother with brown. It will make your eyes look bigger and it will make you look less tired. But in equal measure, I implore you, fully remove your mascara before you go to bed.
- Treat your Makeup Bag like your wardrobe. You’ve heard of a capsule wardrobe: a few key pieces that you can interchange to create a myriad of looks. Creating a capsule makeup bag isn’t as difficult as it sounds, but what is key is that you choose the right products for your skin type and condition and for your desired look outcome. With just a few key pieces that you know work for you, you can adapt your morning look with ease and do it at break neck speed, which if you’re trying to keep up with those toddlers, dodge your teenagers, or just survive the playground, will come in handy.
So, I hope you feel equipped to take on your biggest morning challenges and put your best face forwards. But really what I hope you know, mamas, is that you are beautiful. You are worth the time to look after yourself. You are stronger than you know. I’m happy to lend you my makeup super powers, as long as you know I’m cheering you on.
A little more information about Chrys
Harrogate-based, Premium Freelance Makeup and Hair Stylist
I started my professional journey in Malibu, California and though I’ve traded in my flip flops and sandy beaches for Wellies and the Yorkshire Dales, I still retain my beach-y sense of effortless, Boho glamour.
I specialise in creating timeless hair and makeup looks, that will always be flattering and flawless. I love helping my clients achieve looks that are fresh, polished and elegant, but not too fussy. That’s the mood I bring to my bridal clients, my makeup lessons and my fashion collaborations, including Jenny Packham and Rachel Allan.
My job can take me to destinations far and wide, but the best part of what I do is empowering my clients to feel like the very best version of themselves every single day. I believe that feeling beautiful informs the mind of how we want to view ourselves, so by helping my clients feel beautiful, they immediately feel more powerful and more confident.
If I can help you feel beautiful, please get in touch. I would love to work with you.